25 January 2010

ENGL 3400 Jan 25

I'm attending class regularly. I still don't know everyone's names. The TF position feels a little ambiguous, or I guess I should say that it's a new territory between the role of student and teacher that feels ambiguous. Hopefully, that will be an asset instead of a frustration. Since I started attending classes, we have been spending all class time practicing close reading on some Pat Mora poetry. The collection is intended for young adult readers and seems to be a great jumping off text to make more "adult" or canonical poetry accessible by younger students that may be disinterested or intimidated. I've forgotten my book at the office, but I have specific links that I want to use in the classroom. I think I'll start taking specific notes on Dr. Insenga's particular approach to teaching so that I might learn more about the skill. Today I scheduled the days that I will teach during the semester. I'm excited because I will work with the students on writing workshops for the set of papers that I'll grade and also on the Sherman Alexie text. I know that the class will be nervous about me grading their papers since they have a more developed relationship with Angela. I hope that my workshop time will help them feel more comfortable with me and more confident in their own writing.

No comments:

Post a Comment